Section: User Commands (1)
Index?action=index Return to Main Contents
znew - recompress .Z files to .gz files
znew [ -ftv9PK] [ name.Z ... ]
Znew recompresses files from .Z (compress) format to .gz (gzip) format. If you want to recompress a file already in gzip format, rename the file to force a .Z extension then apply znew.
- Force recompression from .Z to .gz format even if a .gz file already exists.:
- Tests the new files before deleting originals.:
- Verbose. Display the name and percentage reduction for each file compressed.:
- Use the slowest compression method (optimal compression).:
- Use pipes for the conversion to reduce disk space usage.:
- Keep a .Z file when it is smaller than the .gz file; implies -t.:
gzip?(1), zmore?(1), zdiff?(1), zgrep?(1), zforce?(1), gzexe?(1), compress?(1)
Znew does not maintain the time stamp with the -P option if cpmod?(1) is not available and touch?(1) does not support the -r option.
More Man Pages